Journal Entry 1861 - Stanton

November 27, 1861,

I'm back from battle, and I am finally finding time to write in this little journal of mine. I never thought it would be so difficult, truly, I thought that the Union would be better than this. Our battle with the South at Bull Run river, was very discouraging. My regiment needs a leader who is fearless and can show that he can stand proud in the face of terror, and instead I was cowardly and ran like a little schoolgirl, most of our ranks did. It pains me to admit, but I am scared, I fear for my life, and I fear that the war won't be as easy as we'd thought. The past few moths I've been refining my skills, learning how to properly shoot a bayonet and such. We even received new items, finer boots, more bayonets, and slightly better food. I heard it was all because of an income tax that was set up by Congress, letting us get that fine new material. Speaking of, we have a new General, General McClellan. He is quite young for his position, but so far he's done a fantastic job. Apparently they call him "Little Mac", an amusing nickname for a man with a power such as his. What surprised me the most was that Lincoln himself gave him the job, since he and the troops he led were able to defeat an elite Confederate army.  I trust that with his guidance, the Union can do great things.

Signing Out, 
Captain Stanton.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Newspaper-Emily Parsons

Letter Home-Parsons

1865 Letter - Stanton