Journal Entry 1862 - Stanton

Here I am again,                                                                                                                    July 1, 1862

The war hasn't been doing any better. There's this man on the Confederacy, horrible, but a great and quite brilliant leader. His face is blank even amidst battle... they call him "Stonewall" Jackson. My regiment and I, we were there to witness him at Shenandoah Valley. I wouldn't like to admit it, but this is dead paper, something only I am to see, his tactics were ingenious, cornering us in such a way that we had no choice but to die or leave. So close to Union headquarters, D.C., so we had to hurry up to spread out as many troops as we could to defend the area, while also making sure the civilians were safe. Oh, how I envied them, watching the war in third person. But it is my duty to protect the country as best as I can, nothing will stop me from that goal. It was a longer battle than we anticipated, and I cannot deny I was disappointed by how we did. Word around the camps is that this "Stonewall" Jackson's troops overcame 3 Union armies. One can only pray that we will surpass our defeats to win the war. But we must hope and pray. 

For my country
- Capt. Bruce Stanton

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Newspaper-Emily Parsons

Letter Home-Parsons

1865 Letter - Stanton